So what is it?

So what is it?...

For those of you who have stumbled across this, or are just having a quick browse through curiosity; what is the Appalachian Trail? Well, it's a footpath. In North America. Going from Springer Mountain in Georgia, north to Mount Katahdin in Maine, covering a distance of somewhere between 2000 and 2180 miles depending on which source you read. The 30% of aspirational thru-hikers that complete it take 4-6 months, cross 14 states, take 5 million steps, and I've heard somewhere that they climb the equivalent of 16 Everest's. Ok, enough about the manliness of the feat at hand; its basically going to be a cracking walk through some beautiful environments and (I hope) one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences in my life.

For those of you who're interested I'm going to keep this page updated as I plan, prepare, and eventually hike the trail. Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

Tuesday 27 August 2013

Got my visa!

Sorry chaps, I've been a bit quiet of late. Been pretty busy cramming in the hours at work to add to the savings pot! Also been preparing for my visa interview... which I'm pleased to say I passed and my 6 month visa has been approved!

I got a sleeper train into London Paddington arriving at 5:30 this morning and had a wander around Hyde Park to kill some time before my appointment. When I got to the embassy there were abut 50-odd people queuing for various appointments. After standing around for half an hour or so I was let in and collected my appointment ticket.

Pretty soon I was called up to the first desk where my prints were taken and a couple of basic questions asked ('Have you ever been arrested?, How long will you be staying in the United States?). My passport was sent along to another desk where I went shortly after to have a chat with a US consular officer who asked me some more specific questions (What are you doing in the United States? Why? How long will the trip take? Where do you work now? What are your plans upon returning to the United Kingdom? How are you funding the trip?). I answered the questions concisely (no rambling!) and had a load of documents ready to back up my responses although they didn't seem too fussed about seeing anything apart from a cover letter from my boss.

And that was that! The whole actual interview process took maybe half an hour, and they said there and then my visa had been approved. Should hopefully get my passport back in the post in a few days time. Feeling pretty relieved, although in hind sight its really nothing to be worried about as long as you're honest in your responses. Just got to start looking into flights now...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Got my interview on the 13th. Out of interest, what did your boss's cover letter say? That you had a job waiting for you when you get back?

    ReplyDelete