So what is it?

So what is it?...

For those of you who have stumbled across this, or are just having a quick browse through curiosity; what is the Appalachian Trail? Well, it's a footpath. In North America. Going from Springer Mountain in Georgia, north to Mount Katahdin in Maine, covering a distance of somewhere between 2000 and 2180 miles depending on which source you read. The 30% of aspirational thru-hikers that complete it take 4-6 months, cross 14 states, take 5 million steps, and I've heard somewhere that they climb the equivalent of 16 Everest's. Ok, enough about the manliness of the feat at hand; its basically going to be a cracking walk through some beautiful environments and (I hope) one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences in my life.

For those of you who're interested I'm going to keep this page updated as I plan, prepare, and eventually hike the trail. Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

Sunday 4 August 2013

The Gear...

I'm a self confessed gear nut and could quite easily go on and on about it. However, for the sake of everyone's sanity I'll mention it here only if I get something particularly exciting and keep it to a bare minimum. If there are any other geeks out there I'm going to add a separate page where we can discuss fabrics hydro-static head, breathability and moisture vapor transition rates, stove boil times and thermal efficiency to our hearts content!

I've got a new stove!


I've always used some sort of gas stove, my latest being a little MSR Micro Rocket. I fancied something a bit different for the trail; I considered liquid or multi-fuel stoves or staying with gas and going for a Jet Boil. In the end I've decided on something completely different and just bought a Wild Stoves Wild Woodgas Stove (a bit of a mouthful!). When working out my budget I figured out that gas canister at £3 will last me maybe 2 days. Lets say i'm on the trail for 130 days, that's almost £200 in gas. The woodgas stove is a little heavier and boils stuff slower, and relies on my ability to light a fire, but it saves me a whole lot of money and means I wont have to carry any bulky gas canisters or heavy liquid fuel; just a small amount of dry kindling to get it lit on damp days. And it has a lot of novelty value!

I've now tried it a couple of times, full review to follow on the gear page!


...and a new tent. Well, hammock.

After a good years debating on what type of shelter to go for, I finally decided that I was going to hammock it, and just bought a Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Velcro! I've never slept in a hammock before but always wanted to, and the AT provides the perfect opportunity. And, in answer to the the question that everyone asks; I will be able to rig up a sort of bivi/ basher set-up where there are no trees. The weight also drew me to it; a touch above 1kg including the stuff sack. For a tent at a similar weight I would probably be looking at something like the Force 10 Helium 100, which is twice the price and not nearly as cool!

I managed to take it for a quick overnight test run last week and and was very impressed. After half an hour of fidgeting I found the perfect angle to lie at (kind of diagonally-ish) where I can lie straight and have my head propped up slightly to avoid using a pillow. I was surprised by the amount of room there actually was in the hammock itself; I think i'll be modifying it slightly to have a little mesh divider at the foot end to store clothes when i'm sleeping in addition to the overhead storage pouch thing. Definitely glad I went for the Velcro option as well; loads easier to get in and out of than it looks, less to break, and easier to repair should the situation arise.Fun, exciting times indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment