So what is it?

So what is it?...

For those of you who have stumbled across this, or are just having a quick browse through curiosity; what is the Appalachian Trail? Well, it's a footpath. In North America. Going from Springer Mountain in Georgia, north to Mount Katahdin in Maine, covering a distance of somewhere between 2000 and 2180 miles depending on which source you read. The 30% of aspirational thru-hikers that complete it take 4-6 months, cross 14 states, take 5 million steps, and I've heard somewhere that they climb the equivalent of 16 Everest's. Ok, enough about the manliness of the feat at hand; its basically going to be a cracking walk through some beautiful environments and (I hope) one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences in my life.

For those of you who're interested I'm going to keep this page updated as I plan, prepare, and eventually hike the trail. Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Stove issues...

I had a nights wild camp in some woods close to where I live to get in a bit of practice with the gear. The hammock was set up quickly and easily, and I got a good solid nights sleep despite apparently having a down-pour of rain at some point during the night. The snakeskins meant I could pack it away in the morning without getting drenched. Cracking bit of kit!

I did however have some issues with the stove. It had been raining all day so the ground was damp, and being in a rush to get to the camping spot before dark (I went straight after work) totally forgot to take dry kindling. So, I only had some wood shavings and a few hexy blocks with me. Attempts to light it in the evening were a massive fail ad I resorted to using my girlfriends Coleman gas stove and piled up a load of wood under my hammock where it could dry out a bit over night. In the morning I used the wood shavings to get the fire going, and a couple of hexy blocks to get the heat up, before adding the partially dry tinder. After a bit of a battle I managed to get just enough out of it to boil a litre of water for a brew.

Lessons learnt: Carry a small amount of dry tinder to help get the stove going on those damp evenings. Prepare properly for trips! I'm out again this Thursday/ Friday; walking from Truro to St Mawes; weathers looking pretty soggy so it should be a good opportunity to test the stove again.

No comments:

Post a Comment