So what is it?

So what is it?...

For those of you who have stumbled across this, or are just having a quick browse through curiosity; what is the Appalachian Trail? Well, it's a footpath. In North America. Going from Springer Mountain in Georgia, north to Mount Katahdin in Maine, covering a distance of somewhere between 2000 and 2180 miles depending on which source you read. The 30% of aspirational thru-hikers that complete it take 4-6 months, cross 14 states, take 5 million steps, and I've heard somewhere that they climb the equivalent of 16 Everest's. Ok, enough about the manliness of the feat at hand; its basically going to be a cracking walk through some beautiful environments and (I hope) one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences in my life.

For those of you who're interested I'm going to keep this page updated as I plan, prepare, and eventually hike the trail. Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

Saturday 3 August 2013

Where it began...

I've done my fair share of walking in the past, although nothing on a particularly grand scale. I've done little bits and pieces in Wales, Scotland, and just come back from Iceland. My longest single trip is the northern 130 miles of what was meant to be a thru-hike of the Pennine way. Since moving to Cornwall I've done good chunks of the coast path with my good friend Dan; these were some of the best days of my life!

My desire to hike the Appalachian Trail hit me quite suddenly one dreary afternoon in April 2011. I was mid way through my dissertation, feeling pretty stressed, and fantasizing about the thing I could do when this thing was finished! As it happened, I was reading a particular book by Bill Bryson. The idea got lodged in my brain and stuck.

Since then the Appalachian Trail has rarely left my thoughts; i'm constantly thinking trail logistics (What about my visa? How far can/ should I go each day? How long will it take?...), gear (should I take a hammock or tent? A shoe or a boot? What sort of stove?...), or browsing whiteblaze.net seeing what other aspirational hikers are doing in preparation and where the current hikers are. When I get a quiet moment at work my mind wanders and i'm briefly wandering the 'Long Green Tunnel' or standing on top of Mount Katahdin. So, to all my family and friends who have not only thus far put up with my relentless obsessing but actively supported it: Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment