So what is it?

So what is it?...

For those of you who have stumbled across this, or are just having a quick browse through curiosity; what is the Appalachian Trail? Well, it's a footpath. In North America. Going from Springer Mountain in Georgia, north to Mount Katahdin in Maine, covering a distance of somewhere between 2000 and 2180 miles depending on which source you read. The 30% of aspirational thru-hikers that complete it take 4-6 months, cross 14 states, take 5 million steps, and I've heard somewhere that they climb the equivalent of 16 Everest's. Ok, enough about the manliness of the feat at hand; its basically going to be a cracking walk through some beautiful environments and (I hope) one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences in my life.

For those of you who're interested I'm going to keep this page updated as I plan, prepare, and eventually hike the trail. Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

Wednesday 7 August 2013

An interesting read...

Had this in the post this morning and already read a good deal of it. Its a very interesting read indeed. Appalachian Trials by 2011 thru-hiker Zach Davis fills a bit of a gap in Appalachian Trail guides and looks at the psychological and emotional challenges that come with attempting a thru-hike. I've researched and prepared my kit down to a T and am happy with my physical fitness, but the mental side of things has been occupying me recently; especially after my experience of days of relentless rain in Iceland! This book has definitely given me a lot to think about, but also a good bit of confidence.

Very early on I decided against food parcels as I didn't want to be constrained to a time schedule. I haven't made an itinerary beyond knowing distances between food replenishments so I know how much to restock each time. I have no real idea of what my daily mileage might be; I could spend all year looking at maps and elevation profiles but at the end of the day, until I get on the ground I don't know how my mind and body will respond to this sudden new lifestyle and what unforeseen circumstances may arise. I plan on listening to my limbs, keeping it comfortable, and getting into a good routine as soon as possible. Trips in the past have been less than pleasant; my Pennine Way adventure was ultimately cut short because I was too intent on sticking to my schedule and tried pushing through injury and fatigue. 

Undoubtedly there will be pitfalls; I might carry too much food for one section or end up having to ration for another, or be slowed down by injuries or bad weather. But I'm hoping that these hiccups won't be detrimental to my trip and that I can learn from them as I go along. Appalachian Trials is giving me a bit of an insight into what to expect and how I might deal with it. Definitely worth a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment