So what is it?

So what is it?...

For those of you who have stumbled across this, or are just having a quick browse through curiosity; what is the Appalachian Trail? Well, it's a footpath. In North America. Going from Springer Mountain in Georgia, north to Mount Katahdin in Maine, covering a distance of somewhere between 2000 and 2180 miles depending on which source you read. The 30% of aspirational thru-hikers that complete it take 4-6 months, cross 14 states, take 5 million steps, and I've heard somewhere that they climb the equivalent of 16 Everest's. Ok, enough about the manliness of the feat at hand; its basically going to be a cracking walk through some beautiful environments and (I hope) one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences in my life.

For those of you who're interested I'm going to keep this page updated as I plan, prepare, and eventually hike the trail. Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

Tuesday 3 September 2013

Training, sort of...

I've been keeping myself pretty busy over the last few weeks. I've spent most day when I'm not at work doing little day hikes or climbing down at the local crag. I'm not 'training' with the specific aim of getting super trail fit, although the more active I can stay, the better my core strength and aerobic fitness, the easier I figure those first couple of weeks of breaking myself into the trail will be.



A couple of weeks ago I managed an overnight trip from Truro, down to the south Cornwall Coast to Portscatho, and around the Roseland Peninsula via St Just in Roseland to St Mawes. The trip was about 30 miles in total with some good hills, and I was very generous with the kit I took so was carrying near AT weight.



 
 
Overall it felt pretty good! Despite the fact I hadn't been out for a while and it was hot, humid weather, I made good time and the mileage felt comfortable. The kit performed like a dream: The hammock went up as easy as ever and I had none of the problems I have had with the stove.

I should hopefully get another weekend or two in this side of Christmas. I'm thinking a trip up on Dartmoor in wintery conditions could be fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment