So what is it?

So what is it?...

For those of you who have stumbled across this, or are just having a quick browse through curiosity; what is the Appalachian Trail? Well, it's a footpath. In North America. Going from Springer Mountain in Georgia, north to Mount Katahdin in Maine, covering a distance of somewhere between 2000 and 2180 miles depending on which source you read. The 30% of aspirational thru-hikers that complete it take 4-6 months, cross 14 states, take 5 million steps, and I've heard somewhere that they climb the equivalent of 16 Everest's. Ok, enough about the manliness of the feat at hand; its basically going to be a cracking walk through some beautiful environments and (I hope) one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences in my life.

For those of you who're interested I'm going to keep this page updated as I plan, prepare, and eventually hike the trail. Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

Saturday 23 August 2014

Hello folks!

First things first...


I've finished!!!! Summited Katahdin on the 15th August to complete my thru-hike. What an incredible journey! Apologies for not keeping the blog on-go whilst I was out there; I had issues with internet security, blah, blah... so basically I couldn't access my account. I still want to share my adventures with you all, so I kept a good old fashioned paper journal, and will be writing up the story of my hike in a number of weekly posts, along with photos and videos.

I think this will be a pretty good way of doing things. Firstly, it will let me re-live the last 5 months of my life- they have been incredible. Secondly, for the class of 2015 who have been following along with 'real-time' blogs which are now coming to an end; it will hopefully keep you occupied/ mildly entertained until you begin your own journeys next year. I will be able to dig through my journal and pick out the really important aspects of my hike, rather than giving a detailed account of why I decided to swap from Oatmeal to Poptarts... I want my blog to be useful in terms of planning and preparation, but most importantly I want it to give an informative and true insight into what it is like to hike for 2185 miles and 151 days up the Eastern Seaboard of the USA.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment